The Oliver Wolcott Library encourages the use of the Library by children of all ages, parents, and adults.
It is not the Library’s function or purpose to be a care center for unsupervised children.
In order to maintain a safe and orderly environment for Library use and to protect Library property, the
following constitutes Library policy concerning the supervision of children:
- Parents and guardians are responsible for the conduct of their children on Library premises at
all times and must provide reasonable supervision of their children as is appropriate based on the
age and level of responsibility of each child. It is the sole responsibility of the parent or guardian to
ensure that the child is of sufficient age and maturity to be left unattended at the Library.
- Parents and guardians should be aware of Library opening and closing times and make suitable
arrangements to meet and/or transport their children.
- The Library is not responsible for the care and supervision of unaccompanied children.
- If a child is unaccompanied in the Library 15 minutes before closing time, staff may assist the
child in calling to arrange for transportation. The staff is not required to stay with a child after
closing time. The Board of Trustees has authorized the staff to call the police if the parent or
guardian fails to pick up the child.
- Under no circumstances will a staff member transport children to any
- The Oliver Wolcott Library conforms to the State Statutes Sec. 53-21a relating to unattended
children that are in effect at the date of this revision, and as it may be modified by the
Connecticut General Assembly.
Adopted October 16, 2001. Revised March 16, 2010. Revised August 2011.